Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the “Western Experience” – an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Department of Western Technology Services (WTS) is a central resource committed to supporting the teaching and research missions of the University by providing high-quality and cost-effective technology solutions and services to the campus community. WTS works collaboratively with other IT groups within Western’s faculties and support units, to leverage centrally supported technology solutions and services where appropriate.
The primary responsibility of the Service Operations Team is ensuring resilient and consistent access to mission critical corporate services managed and provisioned by WTS, such as; the Western data network which provides computer connectivity, Internet access, telecommunications, and wireless services. This unit also provides operational oversight of the campus Data Centers which provide an environmentally controlled, redundant, and secure facility for the campus server resources. This responsibility also includes the installation, maintenance of monitoring of equipment housed within the Data Centers. Members of this team are responsible for the operational administration (auditing and monitoring) of ITIL processes implemented by the WTS Technical Services.
The Network Engineer I (Service Operations Engineer), provides technical leadership to the Service Operations Team, WTS Management, and to project teams managing medium and large scale change. The incumbent is a Subject Matter Expert in an at least one of the major areas of technology associated with Data Center management and/or ITIL best practices. As such the incumbent will also be responsible for leading WTS projects in these areas and for assisting, and mentorship of team members, specifically in the area of this subject expertise. This individual will guide the technology strategies for the infrastructure and lead the development of processes required to support the Service environment using ITIL and ITSM principles.
– University Degree with at least a minor in Computer Science
– Enrollment in certification programs in area of expertise
– University degree majoring in Computer Science or related Information Technology field preferred
– Additional certifications in at least one area of technology deployed at Western preferred
– Course work in programming preferred
– ITIL Certification preferred
– 7 years’ experience in enterprise service operations environment, including Data Centre management, ITIL, and network monitoring/analysis tools
– Demonstrated high level of experience in at least one area of technology deployed at Western
– Experience with large scale, diverse Data Center environment preferred
– Experience leading small/medium projects preferred
– Experience in electronics, system programming and communications technologies preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
– Demonstrated expertise in networking protocols and related communications technologies
– Ability to provide technical leadership regarding infrastructure design, deployment and support for WTS services
– Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for process improvement and an ability to offer creative solutions
– Demonstrated ability to research/investigate issues and resolve problems, specifically in area of subject matter expertise
– Familiarity with various operating system environments
– Familiarity with use of scripting languages
– Proficient in technical documentation and ability to write clear, concise procedural and technical documentation
– Demonstrated communication skills to effectively interact with technical and non-technical users
– Demonstrated exceptional organizational skills, including managing multiple competing priorities and an ability to adapt quickly to emerging priorities
– Ability to explain the immediate context of the situation, asking questions with follow-up, and soliciting advice prior to taking action when warranted
– Ability and willingness to stay abreast of technological developments with a commitment to ongoing learning and professional development
– Strong customer service skills to handle inquiries and resolve issues in a professional and timely manner
– Attention to detail when executing routine tasks
– Takes initiative to ensure that outcomes meet internal and external customer requirements
– Ability to work independently on tasks with appropriate training and guidance
– Ability to make day-to-day decisions based on established guidelines
– Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference #14473, by midnight on September 24, 2018.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.